1. There are no “mistakes “ you are learning. Mistakes are part of learning.
“Mistakes” are also very much part of art history and X-rays prove that even the greatest
masters of art regularly made basic changes along the way, painted out, painted over.
Very rarely do we get things right first time, let alone every time!
2. Your Art today demonstrates WHERE you are as an artist, Not WHAT you are.
Are you having a go? Then you are an Artist. Budding artist, emerging artist - no matter
what you call yourself, if you are Mark-making, you are Art-making. You are an artist at
this particular point in time.
3. There is no “fail” in art. Art doesn't even have to be “Good” it just has to BE. The
nearest you can get to a “ fail” in Art is giving up. And even that Isn't necessarily for ever.
4. Don't judge what IS best Today, PLEASE acknowledge what you LIKE best today.
Leave judgement to art critics and haters, YOU Are the only one you need to satisfy.
5. Non-artists have no idea of the time & effort it takes to create art. Don't let ignorant
(even well-meaning) statements bother you. Don't inhale! Don’t accept. As Georgia
O’Keefe said, let critics and patrons comments go, pouring them all down the same drain.
6. If YOU’RE not satisfied with your work - YOU’RE not finished.
7. Always work from the General ( idea, think about it, explore the options, overall
composition, mapping out) THEN to the particular (detail). Work BIG. to SMALL.
8. Don't take cheap shots at your work. We have a “can’t “ jar. It's like a swear tin but
for negativity. Never belittle your efforts, progress or outcome. Art growth requires a
9. “ART TAKES TIME”. 3 little words widely not understood!
10. This is your (life long) creative journey. It is about the ride. There's no one single
destination for you - there are many directional choices to make along the way. We’ll
encourage you to explore & expand your horizons.
Artists continuously grow, change, detour, re- visit, leap off the rails, go sideways and
spin out....staying curious about their world, real & imagined. ( unless they have hit on a
successful formula and simply do different/ similar versions of the same painting over and
over again for ever. We aim to be more dynamic than that.)
Albert Einstein said that “ Creativity is intelligence having fun”.